INCOSE SEP Exam Preparation (ISEP) Course
Over the course of 5 days, led by an experienced and qualified facilitator, you will be taken on an immersive journey into the INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook (Fifth Edition). This course will prepare you to take the INCOSE Knowledge Exam comfortably and covers all the information you need to know about applying for INCOSE’s Associate Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP) or Certificated Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) certification.
Get Started Today
View the schedule and register your interest.
Make an Enquiry
Ask us anything or tell us more about your training needs e.g. what are the training outcomes you are seeking?
The course is facilitated by an expert leader in systems engineering who is highly knowledgeable in all aspects of the SEP certification process. Our ISEP Course combines a mixture of presentation, group discussions, collaborative workshops and heaps of practice in writing and answering exam questions to ensure an effective and enjoyable learning experience along your journey to Systems Engineering Professional (SEP) certification. Utilizing leading-edge adult learning principles and techniques*, participants are equipped to absorb and recall detailed information necessary to pass the multiple choice INCOSE Knowledge Exam (upon first attempt!). Our guarantee: retake the course free of charge if you don't pass your first exam!
During the course, the role and benefits of systems engineering within the participant’s organization will be explained using the terminology contained within the internationally recognized INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook Fifth Edition. Upon completing this course, participants will be able to use the Handbook as a reference and guide, not only in preparing for the INCOSE Knowledge Exam but also in applying the concepts of the INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook Fifth Edition as part daily project and systems engineering work.
The class takes place in real-time. For live-online delivery, everyone in class including your facilitator, is connected via a live web conference facility. We’ll send you all the necessary details to make preparation as seamless as possible. Once you have paid for the course, you will receive a link to download the course materials in an electronic format. Any other materials intended for distribution will be sent to you throughout the course via email.
Note: it is highly recommended that you have a hard copy of the INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook available during the course. We will advise on how to purchase a copy. If you have any difficulties obtaining a copy, please let us know as soon as possible, and we will do our best to assist you. If obtaining a hard copy is not possible, a soft copy will suffice.
- This course qualifies for Engineers Australia and Engineering New Zealand (IPENZ) CPD purposes (40 hours)
- This course is accredited by ECSA South Africa for CPD 5 points (ref. INCOSE 23/001)
- PDUs may be claimed for this course for PMI’s family of certifications, including Project Management Professional (PMP)
*As verified by the Coaching Café South Africa.
Register and pay 30 days prior to the course commencement date to receive a 10% early bird discount.
Are you a full-time student? Enter the coupon code STUDENT_DISCOUNT at checkout to receive a 20% discount. Note that proof of full-time student status is required.
(Exclusive to India)
(Exclusive to South Africa)
(Exclusive to South America)
(Exclusive to India)
(Exclusive to India)
(Exclusive to India)
(Exclusive to India)
*The workshop is a truncated version of the 5-day INCOSE SEP Exam Course and is available exclusively in India.
4.1 Tailoring Considerations
4.2 SE Methodology/Approach Considerations
4.3 System Types Considerations
4.4 Application of Systems Engineering for Specific Product Sector or Domain Application
5.1 Systems Engineering Competencies
5.2 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
5.3 Systems Engineering Relationships to Other Disciplines
5.4 Digital Engineering
5.5 Systems Engineering Transformation
5.6 Future of SE
5.7 Measurement Process
5.8 Quality Assurance Process
6.1 Case 1: Radiation Therapy – the Therac-25
6.2 Case 2: Joining Two Countries – the Øresund Bridge
6.3 Case 3: Cybersecurity Considerations in Systems Engineering – the Stuxnet Attack on a Cyber-Physical System
6.4 Case 4: Design for Maintainability – Incubators
6.5 Case 5: Artificial Intelligence in Systems Engineering – Autonomous Vehicles
6.6 Other Case Studies
- Daily Quiz Questions
- Sharing of Personal Project Experience
- What is a System?
- Definition of Systems of Systems
- Enabling Systems
- Definition of Systems Engineering
- Use and Value of Systems Engineering
- Generic Life Cycle
- Applying the Handbook to Case Studies
- Linking IPO Diagrams to Each Other
- Verification vs. Validation
- Concept of Operations vs. Operational Concept
- Technical Processes
- Technical Management Processes
- Comparison of Project and Organizational Processes
- Measurement Process
- Pulling It All Together – System Perspective
- Agreement Processes
- Organizational Project-Enabling Processes
- Knowledge Management Process
- Tailoring Process
- Quality Characteristics and Approaches
- Comprehension Style Questions on Quality Characteristics and Approaches
- Systems Engineering Analyses and Methods Part One
- Systems Engineering Analyses and Methods Part Two
- Systems States and Modes
- Uncertainty and Cognitive Bias
- SE Principles and Heuristics
- Technical Reviews and Audits
- Digital Engineering
At the end of the course, the participant will confidently be able to:
- evaluate the Handbook and training materials in such a way as to successfully prepare for and pass the examination
- apply the life cycle terms and concepts from Handbook correctly
- relate the INCOSE material, approach and methodology to their existing Systems Engineering knowledge
- explain the role of Systems Engineering on the basis of a project or intervention within their organization
- interpret the knowledge gained via reference to examples/cases from their own industry or organization
- describe key systems and life cycle terms and concepts
- understand Systems Engineering foundations and their contribution to systems development
- understand the relationship between systems science, systems thinking and Systems Engineering
- explain tools and techniques to enhance decision making throughout the system life cycle
- explain the various life cycle model approaches highlighted in the Handbook
- recognize the format and conventions of the IPO representations used throughout the Handbook
- explain the agreement processes and how they influence the system life cycle
- explain the relationship between organizational level and project level processes
- explain the different technical management processes and the role they play in planning, assessing and controlling a system development
- explain the different technical processes that support the system life cycle
- explain the elements of the system life cycle quality characteristics and approaches and how they play out across a project
- understand various Systems Engineering analysis and methods and how they play out across a project
- understand the SE methodology and approach considerations when tailoring
- explain the tailoring process at organizational and project levels
- understand how the type of system impacts tailoring considerations
- recognize the application of Systems Engineering in different domains
- recognize various Systems Engineering competencies and how they influence your professional engineering career
- understand the role of diversity, equity and inclusion in Systems Engineering development
- recognize the relationship of Systems Engineering to other disciplines
- discuss the role of digital engineering in paving the way forward in enhancing the application of Systems Engineering
- recognize the significance of transformation in Systems Engineering
- evaluate current and future Systems Engineering activities using the Handbook as a reference and guide
- apply case studies to show how processes may be relevant in the real world.
With CTI Live-Online delivery, you will gain access to our premium INCOSE Knowledge Exam Preparation course content and presentation from the comfort of your own home or office. Get ready for the course in four simple steps:
Complete our quick-and-easy registration process for the course of your choice. Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email with details to help you prepare for the course. You will also receive instructions on how to connect electronically to the course.
Before your course begins, you will be given a download link where you may access and retrieve your class files. Please install and configure the web conferencing software on your device/s.
Prior to the course, you will receive course materials with details for preparation. Please print any required documents to have handy during the course (this will be specified in the courseware email). This is also the time to ensure that you have a copy of the INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook Fifth Edition - a hard copy is strongly encouraged!
If you run into any trouble, we’re here to help!
- Join your course
On each day of the course, you are invited to connect to the virtual conference room 15 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time. Here, you will be greeted by your facilitator and the other learners. At the scheduled time, the course commences!
Additional information about live-online courses:
- Desktop sharing: The web conference facility provides learners with an up-close view of the facilitator-controlled window. Here, you will view the course content, receive workshop instructions, and share and discuss workshop progress with your facilitator. You will be able to discuss notes and diagrams drawn in real-time by the facilitator while in dialogue with learners.
- Visibility of participants: We encourage all learners to make use of the webcam on their device to maximize the learning experience. This ensures learners and facilitators will be able to see each other, and everyone will have visibility of the speaker. CTI does not take responsibility for negative impacts on learning as a result of participants having their camera off.
- Discussions: Learners can “raise their hand” virtually to get the facilitator’s attention or may contact engage with the facilitator and other participants via the chat facility.
- Breakout Rooms: Participants will conduct most workshops in teams and will utilize the breakout room facility to engage via video, voice or text chat. Each group will nominate a scribe to share screen and use the course-provided templates or the web platform’s white board to capture feedback from the group. The facilitator will drop into the breakout room to assess the teams’ progress during workshops and to answer any questions from the team.
Q: Does the course use pre-recorded training videos?
With CTI Live-Online training, you will participate in a virtual classroom and interact with the facilitator and other participants in real-time. The value of our training comes from these interactions as participants are motivated to engage actively during the training week therefore, sessions are not recorded unless in exceptional cases. This is unlike any on-demand course since this course involves a high degree of interaction between the facilitator and class participants.
Q: Do I need to download software to participate?
Yes, you will be emailed instructions to download web conferencing software on your chosen device/s. The software is free to download and use.
Q: Is the platform secure?
The web conferencing software has a number of features to ensure that classrooms are secure. CTI is following best practices to ensure the security of our virtual classrooms, including enabling the waiting room feature and requiring a password so that only permitted guests can join the classroom.
Q: Do I need anything other than the web conferencing software installed and an internet connection?
You are encouraged to have some means of taking notes and drawing diagrams on screen. If you have access to a tablet or phone that allows you to do free-hand sketching, that could be a bonus.
We recommend that you maintain a cell phone, landline, Skype, or WhatsApp link at hand, capable of accepting domestic and international calls. We will request your contact number during the registration process.
Q: Where is the course facilitator located?
The facilitator delivers the training course live from one of our studios worldwide.
Q: How will I participate and receive assistance?
By using a microphone/headset or computer audio, you can listen to and speak with your colleagues and the course facilitator. Simply ask a question using your microphone, or alternatively raise questions and comments with your facilitator via chat or email.